Rules for Competitions
1. The committee will annually establish a competition timetable, which will be set out in the syllabus. All competitions will be held between January and December each year. The number of competitions in any year will depend on the balance of other activities in the year’s syllabus.
2. The Media shall be Prints and Projected Images.
3. The committee will determine the theme (subject) for each competition. The judge will decide if an entry falls within the theme. A competition may be ‘open’ i.e. any subject or theme will be acceptable.
4. Only financial members may enter club competitions.
5. All competition entries must comply with the following conditions:
a) the photographs must have been shot, and any post processing done, by the competitor, but may be printed and/or mounted by a another party;
b) all entries must have been made no more than 3 years prior to the competition in which they are entered;
c) no photograph may be entered if it has previously been entered in a club competition, except in the case where previous entries are explicitly invited for a special competition (such as “Print of the Year”, or Exhibition selection)
d) following judging, entries will be displayed during the competition meeting in the clubrooms.
i) to ensure prints can be delivered to judges and displayed satisfactorily they must be mounted, and preferably matted;
ii) unmounted photographs can not be accepted;
iii) the maximum size of prints is 500 x 400 mm including the mount; (this restriction may be relaxed in the event of a specific panorama competition)
iv) minimum size of printed images is 175 x 125 mm.
f) Projected (Digital) Images will be displayed on the projector in the clubrooms.
To ensure projected images are displayed correctly they should be:
i) saved in JPEG format;
ii) encoded in the sRGB colour space.
There will be no restriction on the pixel dimension of projected image for entry into club competitions. You may enter images at whatever dimension you wish. However, be aware that if a judge’s monitor, or the projector at the clubrooms, uses a different dimension your image will be resized by the projection or monitor driver software. The projector in ‘our clubrooms’ has a resolution of 1920 x 1200 pixels and will resize all images to that size. Therefore, if you would like to be sure that your images will be displayed at their best in the clubrooms, you should resize them to a maximum of 1920 pixels wide and 1200 pixels high, before delivering them to the Competition Secretary.
g) All images must be clearly identified:
i) Prints must be clearly labeled on the back with the member’s Club number, followed by an optional title. e.g. 431 Summer Days
ii) Projected image filenames shall consist of the entrant’s membership number, and an optional title e.g. 564 Summer Days.jpg
iii) Although titles are optional, each entry must be clearly identified.
iv) Untitled entries must be labeled “Untitled”. Multiple “Untitled” entries require clarification, e.g. 191 untitled, 191 untitled2 etc.
6. All entries must be with the Competition Secretary prior to the closing date for the competition, which shall be announced on the club website and by email to financial members. Submissions received after that date will not be accepted for assessment except at the absolute discretion of the Competition Secretary.
How to Submit an Entry (2019)
Prints are to be left for pickup at Festival Hire, 21 Queen Street, Masterton before 4 pm on the Wednesday two weeks prior to the competition.
Both Projected Images and digital copies of Print entries are to be uploaded into the correct folder in the club’s Dropbox before 5pm on the Wednesday two weeks prior to the competition.
Closing dates are noted on the syllabus.
For each competition, members may submit up to 3 images in total, but no more than 2 submissions may be prints, and no more than 2 may be digital images.